[scribus-dev] Scribus e.V.: Scale of fees

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Sep 15 17:38:49 CEST 2008

Hi guys,

Another point we need to discuss before the founding meeting is the scale of fees. Here's my suggestion:

1) Fees:

a) Normal members: 40 EUR/year

b) Students/pupils: 20 EUR/year

c) Corporate members: 140 EUR/year

2) What date should we use for maturity? I suggest late October or early November.

3) Exemptions:

a) The Scribus development team

b) Any member that contributes a significant amount of code will be exempt from the fee in the following year. "Significant" means that the contribution consists of more than a few fixes in HTML code or correcting a typo in the C++ code. Thus, Elvis Stansvik (if he were a member) would qualify for exemption for 2009, because he wrote the search feature for the document outline in 2008. Authors of useful Scripts would also be exempt. This could apply to contributors to next version of the manual as well.

c) There's a group of people, which I think we could all agree upon should be exempt, namely: Martin Costabel, Louis Desjardins, Maciej Hanski, Ludi Maciel, Gregory Pittman, Volker Ribbert, Alessandro Rimoldi, Johannes Rüschel, Paul Smedley, and others I may have forgotten, and provided they want to become a member. I think we should also add Thomas Zastrow. I suggest to create a list of those people during the founding meeting. Others may be added by the general meeting next year, since this is a responsibility of the g.m. as per the statute. Those who want to pay the fee to support the organisation anyway can donate the money.

d) The interests of companies contributing to Scribus may be different. They're probably interested in a certification for tax deduction. If a member company should decide to contribute any amount of code, we can easily write a certification for a donation, once we are registered as a non-profit organisation. The amount would be based on an estimation of the costs for the company. This might encourage companies to donate code, as the paid work they donate to the project would be tax-deductable.

Comments, critcism, suggestions are appreciated, as usual.

Regards

Christoph