[Scribus] can't print graphics

Craig Ringer craig
Mon Aug 25 07:35:25 CEST 2003

>>If you do a 'print to file' and then use 'gv' to view the resulting
>>PostScript file, does it look OK there?
>
> Looks great...BUT won't print!!! same thing happens..5 or 6 blinks &
> printer decides it doen't like file with pic ;^).

That's interesting. It sounds like Scribus is generating the PostScript
fine, but your printer is choking on it. If it's a PCL printer, CUPS
should be doing a conversion from PostScript -> PCL for you, same as for
any other app. In that case, I just don't know why it might be failing
to print.

If, however, you have a PostScript capable printer, maybe it can't
handle some of the PostScript generated by Scribus (as suggested by
Alastair Robinson). You could try making a PDF like Alastair is
suggesting to see if that helps. If it does, then you'll probably need
to find a longer-term workaround to what is presumably old/buggy
PostScript support in your printer. One option might be to create a
second copy of the printer in CUPS, and set that to generate HP-PCL as
if the printer didn't support PostScript at all. GhostScript will do the
translation. Generally, to do this you just use the built-in CUPS "HP
DeskJet" driver.

FYI, I print from Scribus to an HP 4MV here, and it's quite happy. I'm
using PCL printing though - the "HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1" driver
does the job fine. You might want to try that.

Craig Ringer