[Scribus] PDF viewing

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Thu Aug 28 21:57:42 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 15:19, Patrick wrote:
> Hi guys,
> After completing one of my first complete flyers in Scribus, I am
> finding it quite enjoyable to use.  There are several little niggling
> things I would like to see changed or fixed, but overall, I think we can
> count Scribus to be quite capable.  One thing, that instantly comes to
> mind is whenever I create a text box, why don't I have the ability to
> make it outlined, instead of drawing another box to fit around it?  I
> would like rounded corner capability as well with all the features of
> the box tool.
>
> Another thing I found after exporting as both PDF Acrobat 4 & 5 is that
> KGhostview, Ghostview or GV cannot view the file in it's entirety.  The
> error below appears, so I am suspecting a problem in Ghostscript.  Adobe
> reader displays the file fine.

This is a common error I find with the above - related to fonts in Pdf,
but often, GSView will open it OK. Just curious, what about Xpdf?

If not, then it is a GS bug and should be filed. I also found updating
to 7.07 helps a lot.

In cases where 7.07 does not fix the error, often using with 8.10/8.11
and GSView 4.4 on Win2k, usually will eliminate the error.

My experience with PDF viewers in terms of reliability/proper display of
Scribus files on screen.

1. Acro Reader 5.0x - best - I have had *very* few display errors with
Scribus PDF - as long as the fonts are embedded.
2. GSView/with latest Ghostscript. The newer the Ghostscript, the better
it displays PDF 1.4 and transparency. The newest 8.11 has a new font
renderer and the fonts do look better.
3. Xpdf 2.0x - Does a very good job of displaying PDF 1.4 images but
does not handle transparency well. Uses X fonts without a custom
.Xpdfresources file - not installed by default.

The others are older and often have problems with the PDF generated by
Scribus, especially advanced PDF 1.4 features. Personally, I do not even
install GV or Ghostview any more.

Hope that helps,
Peter