[Scribus] annoying little windows

P Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Dec 20 20:05:12 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 13:42, Bill Carini wrote:
> When I start up the 1.1.4 release I get some little windows without
> title bars/window controls that are always in front of my other windows
> (even non-scribus windows) I am using the kde window manager. I can't move or
> close these windows. They display the Available Templates, Document Pages and
> File/Preview. (This last window, File/Preview had the window controls once out
> of about 8 times that I've launched 1.1.4, the others never).
>
> Debian PPC
> Qt 3.2.1
>
> Also, I can confirm the problem with underlined text color on PPC.
>
> --Bill

Bill,

What are you using for desktop environment and window manager?

I've seen this in KDE 3.2 beta 1 but not on KDE < 3.1.4 . The update to
KDE 3.2 beta 2 eliminated the issue.

With the same Qt 3.2.3 installed for KDE 3.2 beta, this issue does not
show up at all with Blackbox, leading me to suspect it is a window
manager bug triggered by Scribus.

There ws a similar issue with metacity, which Franz worked around in
Scribus itself. In the case of the metacity bug, I recall he triple
checked the code for conformance to Qt specs. What he found was the
window manager was not handling hints from Qt properly.

Hope that helps,
Peter