AW: [Scribus] let's resume...

Paul paulf.johnson
Wed Jul 30 00:25:28 CEST 2003

Hi,

> i know Quark a bit and really wonder why they gave the okay (and
> documentation i guess) to allow a Quark importer since they always were
> defending their technolgy.

All discussions were strictly on the basis of as long as you're not
making any money from it and don't create an exporter, we won't stand in
your way. Nothing has been signed or anything formal like that.

> Did they allow supporting Xpress 6, too? Is the Quark importer open
> source?

The importer is based on the one which is already available which
happily deals with Q4. I don't have any docs on Q6. Q5 is pretty similar
(internally) to Q4.

> I really like to support the Scribus development, because it is a
> exciting idea and the concept of storing in XML is great. However i
> would like to see a Windows and OS X version, too ;-)

There is a Win2K version already and it is compilable under MacOSX as
well (especially now that Trolltech have released a proper OSX version
which comes under the same licence as the X11 version)

> How does Franz and the other supporters manage to develop Scribus and
> make some money to live?

As with all open source development, Franz, Peter and myself have full
time jobs - that pays for our living. Scribus pays for our eternal
salvation in the great source files above ;-)

TTFN

Paul

--
One OS to fool them all