[Scribus] Seggfault with TrueType fonts?

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sun May 11 18:14:14 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 11:34, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> On 10 May 2003, Peter Linnell wrote:
>
> > Need more info. Which version of Scribus?  Which distro?, version of
> > Xfree86? Where did the TTF's come from? Approx how many ?
>
> Scribus 0.9.9, Red Hat 8.0, XFree86 4.2.0, gimmefonts.com, about 20. :)

<snip> from the new Redhat 8.0 page in the docs:
http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/redhat80.html

<snip>

True Type and Type 1 Font Installation Tips:
     1. Get the web fonts from http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/ BUT put
        the fonts in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF. I like to keep my
        fonts paths as simple as possible.
     2. Follow the advice from http://www.graemepyle.com/linuxfonts.html
     3. Important make sure the font names are in lower case.
     4. After the fonts are installed, make sure you have the
        Xfree86-utils package. This contains ttmkfondir, Then as root,
        create a fonts.scale file, cd into the directory by the command:
        ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
        for a directory of True Type fonts or for Type 1 fonts create
        the fonts.scale file using:
         mkfontscale
     5. Then: as root:
        fc-cache --force --verbose
        This will create new a fonts.dir and update the font cache. This
        replaces the mkfontdir command in Xfree 4.2

Then
from:http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/optimizelinuxdtp1.html
<snip>

"Do not be surprised when shareware or clone True Type fonts from the
Internet disappoint when printed. Sometimes shareware True Type fonts do
not follow proper the proper encoding specs, so they are unreliable in a
Postscript environment. Making good dependable fonts is not easy and
requires a lot of QA testing."

My guess one or more of the twenty fonts you downloaded are a.
improperly installed and/or b. broken internally somehow.  They might
work with a web browser, but won't with a DTP be it Scribus, Pagemaker
or QXP.

Hope that helps,
Peter

--