[Scribus] fedora upgrade weirdness

Scott A Phipps saphipps
Sun Nov 9 05:53:11 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 21:43, Atlantic Tech Solutions wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 20:41, Scott A Phipps wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 19:23, Paul wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > The problem is trying to get hold of adobe-helvetica-bold. Either it's
> > > corrupt or not there any more.
> > >
> > > As a quick try
> > >
> > > mv .scribus/scribus.rc .scribus/scribus.rc.old
> > >
> > > and re-run Scribus. If it still bombs out, you know the font is
> > > flumpled!
> > >
> > > TTFN
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > Thanks Paul,
> >
> > I'm still trying to find out where that font is.  I had a problem after
> > the upgrade with mozilla crashing on trying to load japanese fonts that
> > were removed/renamed in fedora.  Is there font information cached from
> > before the upgrade that is causing me problems now?  I notice
> > fonts.cache files, should I delete these?  Maybe I should just go
> > through the pain of a wide and reinstall.
> >
> > Thanks again
> >
> > Scott
> >
> Don't delete these. force a refresh.
>
> Close Scribus.

> Try as root:
>
> # fc-cache -fv
>
> This will rewrite the font-cache-1 files which fontconfig uses to cache
> font names.
>
> This will fix problems with user added fonts with RH9+.
>
> Let us know if this helps.
>
> Peter

Sorry, replied with false information and with the wrong subject.  It
was not the command that fixed the problem, it was the fact that I was
not in Xinerama mode.  When I got Xinerama fixed (by using acpi=off
kernel argument) the problem was back.  I have confirmed that it happens
only whith xinerama on.  My Qt apps look bad (no antialiasing) and
scribus locks up about ever other time.  Without Xinerama, qt apps look
great and scribus does not lock up at all.  It worked fine in Xinerama
mode before my upgrade, so redhat must have broken something.  If I
figure out what, I'll file a bug report with redhat.

thanks

Scott