[Scribus] Qt 3.2.2

Michael Below mbelow
Fri Oct 17 20:06:34 CEST 2003

Paul <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk> writes:

> Though I hate to say it, the Debian people seem to be very
> silly over Scribus (the website is saying the unstable is 1.0.1)

As a convinced Debian user, I have to defend my distro here:

Debian has a general divide in (at least) three official package
repositories: ?stable?, ?testing? and ?unstable?. The ?stable? package
repository is the well-tested, official distribution. This is changed
only for bug fixing/security updates. Main benefit: it should be rock
solid. The ?unstable? repository contains freshly made packages that
were not available for the last official release, they might contain
all kind of bugs, break other packages, bring in new dependencies on
?unstable? packages etc. ?Testing? contains packages that have been in
?unstable? for some time without showing any serious problems, and
that can be used with the other packages in ?testing?.

So if scribus 1.0.1 is still in the ?unstable? repository, that might
mean: the package is not well tested enough to proceed into ?testing?,
or it contains bugs, or it depends on some package not yet available
in testing for some other reason. The step into the ?stable?
repository isn't going to happen before the next official release.

BTW: There is a bug report from September 23rd asking for packaging of
the the new 1.1.0 version. So the ?unstable? version might change some
time soon, and maybe it will even proceed into ?testing?.

Ciao
  Michael