[Scribus] CMYK: Last post on this topic - I promise ;)

David Purton dcpurton
Thu Dec 9 01:42:39 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:49:15PM +0100, Plinnell wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 December 2004 15:02, David Purton wrote:
> > After this one, I'll drop my CMYK in Scribus posts. Everyone is probably
> > sick of me for sure by now.

So I lied.., but this is only semi related.

> <snip>
>
> As Craig said before, we're truly swamped. Its almost 11:00 pm and I
> am still working.

No worries - I truely am very impressed with Scribus, and the more a
play arond with it the more impressed I become

> The questions are excellent and I will make them the basis of a
> revised FAQ on color management.

One thing I just discovered, that you should add to your FAQ is that you
need the full version of Acrobat 6 (not just the reader) to give on
screen proofs of the icc colour spaces used in the PDF/X-3 docs produced
by Scribus. Even Acrobat 5.0 does not handle them properly. I should
have checked this earlier as it was one source of my initial confusion
in what was in these files. - This sure makes Scribus look good though!

Even though I haven't ever used PDF/X-3, and who knows what our prepress
bureau would come up with from them, I am beginning to see that they
are a very reliable way of getting something printed correctly.

> Color management  *is* a complex subject and Scribus is ground
> breaking in it support for ICC color management in an Open Source app
> with littlecms..

Indeed, your work is much appreciated.

> Please give me a couple of days to compose a thoughtful reply.

As I said, no hurry.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a