[Scribus] Outline text

Ted Powell ted
Sun Jan 18 06:07:00 CET 2004

I just found the menu item I was really looking for; see below.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:29:58PM -0700, Bob White wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:59:21 -0800
> Ted Powell <ted at psg.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 07:51:17PM -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
> > > Is it possible to change text so that it is in outline form - that
> > > is a black outline with white or other colour inside the outline?
> >
> > >From the main menu bar:
> >
> >     Style->Effects->Outlined
> >
> > To begin with, you will probably have a black outline and black fill,
> > so you then need to fiddle with colours.
> >
> > Works with 1.1.5cvs and I've forgotten how earlier a version. At least
> > 1.1.4, I believe.
> >

> That works great on 1.1.4.  The text is whatever color you choose
> with a thin black outilne.  I've still got a lot to learn about Scribus.

Me too...

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:37:48PM -0500, Magic Page wrote:
> [...]
> For everyone that hasn't found the neat "Outline" font maker in Scribus:
> Open your Properties window
> Do some text, highlight it
> Click on the "text" tab in the Properties window
> Go to the styles and select the outline icon
> now above that, set your line color (pencil)
> set your fill color (bucket icon)
>
> That should do it!

It does indeed. That was the one I had used before, but couldn't
remember where to look for it.

But the one I was really looking for is at the bottom of the Item menu:

    Item->Convert to Outlines

Then type ^U for Ungroup, and each letter is a shape. In the Properties
dialog:

    Shape->Edit Shape...

The Nodes toolbox comes up, you select a tool such as Move Nodes, or
Move Control Points, and you can work your will on the letter!

--
Ted Powell <ted at psg.com>   http://psg.com/~ted/
The most important discovery in the history of medicine was