[KDE-Darwin] Re: [Scribus] Building Scribus on Qt/Mac--more questions

Benjamin Reed ranger
Fri Jan 30 22:33:12 CET 2004

Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I think I'm going to let someone else pick this up, since I am going in
> circles and making no real progress. Because practically all of KDE is
> now running natively on OS X, it seems logical that Scribus could be
> compiled to do so. The reason I've been trying to get it to go on OS X
> is a) Scribus runs very slowly under X11--the additional windowing
> causes a lot of overhead and b) I just generally prefer native programs.
> But, as I've said before, I haven't gotten far beyond "hello world" in a
> couple of different languages (C and Python), so I'm hardly the guy to
> troubleshoot C++/Qt bugs without a *lot* of help.

It's useful to note that the thing that *isn't* working yet in our
KDE/Mac stuff is kdegraphics, precisely because there's a bunch of stuff
using X11 structures for manipulating graphics.  Perhaps it would be
easiest to rip out the pixmap-manipulation stuff and GC stuff from X11
and put it in a separate library, like they did for t1lib.  Or else some
kind of GC <-> (QImage|NSImage) conversion.  Until then, there's no
decent way to do a quick hack-job to port them.