[Scribus] Pictures not printing : A problem solved!

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Nov 1 00:03:13 CET 2004

On Sunday 31 October 2004 23:56, BandiPat wrote:
> Geoff wrote:
> > Some notes about the solution to a printing problem I'd been having.  May
> > help someone...
> >

> > The Problem:
> > ===========
> > Hitting Print sent the job to the printer, the "receiving data" light
> > flashed, etc., but nothing came out.  The job disappeared.
> >
> > Through a process of elimination I determined the problem lay with
> > pictures.  Remove the pictures, the document would print.  Add them back,
> > nothing.  Exporting to PDF and printing from there worked fine, but not
> > from Scribus.  Curious.
> >
> > (To reproduce the problem consistently I opened New From Template /
> > Newsletter_2 and tested by trying to print pages 1 and 3.)
> >

> > The Solution:
> > ============
> > Changed to printer driver "gimp-print-ijs".  Fixed!!  (See below* if
> > you're not sure how...)
> >

> > Distro & Build Details:
> > ======================
> > Fedora Core 2, kernel 2.6.8-1.521
> >
> > Printer: HP LaserJet 4M-Plus networked via JetDirect
>
> [...]
>
> > Cheers,
> > Bob

> Bob,
> I think a problem of this type has been discussed here before and the
> problem actually resulted in an unsupport PostScript level 2.  There is
> another person here with the same printer on SuSE 9.1 that had that very
> same "bug", but it was traced down to the postscript the printer used
> being unsupported at the time.  Scribus uses PS3, so would not do the
> graphics on the page.  The guys have since added support for the older
> PS and it should be selectable from your printing window, if I'm not
> mistaken.  Now this is the new 1.2+ Scribus versions as anything lower
> won't have it.
>
> The developers can correct me, if I'm mistaken on this.  Overall, you
> can cut down your work and just check the printing selections now.
>
> Patrick

Yes, the 4M+ has PS level 2. To print from this, with current versions of
Scribus choose PS level 2 from advanced options, or print from Acro reader
with the PS level 2 option selected. As always, we also suggest using a PPD
from the manufactuer wherever possible to make sure you get all the cups
options available.

Craig