[Scribus] What about "crops mark" ?

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Mon Nov 1 15:27:54 CET 2004

Bonjour Serge,

(English just below)

Scribus ne permet pas encore l'insertion automatique des traits de
coupe. Il faut le faire manuellement, dans un document plus grand.

Ceci dit, certains imprimeurs disposent d'une panoplie d'outils en
pr?presse permettant de contourner ce probl?me. On peut faire bien
des choses avec un fichier PDF. Entre autres, on peut le r?importer
dans Quark. Dans votre cas, ?a serait peut-?tre la solution la plus
simple.

* * *

It is not yet possible to apply crop marks automatically in Scribus.
This has to be done manually, in a larger document.

That said, some printers have at their disposal lots of prepress
tools allowing them workarounds to this problem. Many many things can
be done with a PDF file. One of them is reimport the PDF into Quark.
In your case, this might be the simplest solution.

* * *

This "problem" is raised at times on that list. My opinion is that a
better communication with printers would evitate lots of frustration
and lots of needless work. It seems that the easiest way to get
around a problem is to ignore it hmm? This is what happens here :
"can't use your file, sorry. Do this and do that and we'lll be glad
to help then."  From a professionnal point of view, I think customers
deserve better support. Again, as I said, there are many ways to get
around such a small problem as missing crop marks. No need to redo
the whole work.

This is not to say Scribus shouldn't address this issue. I am sure it
will come at its time. With bleed.

Cheers!

Louis