[Scribus] PDF export - text not selectable

Plinnell scribusdocs
Mon Nov 15 22:03:29 CET 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 21:21, Marcus Hauer wrote:
> hi there,
>
> my system: Mac OS X 10.3.6 - Apple X11 - scribus 1.2RC1 (installed with
> fink) - gs 8.13
>
> problem: i exported a document to pdf with scribus and it always shows
> the text as a outline (i guess - because it's not selectable or
> searchable)... so it looks very blurry and not as sharp as a similar
> document exported with InDesign CS (which is selectable and searchable)
> . i use in both documents the opentype font "Helvetica Neue LT Std" by
> Adobe...

This is for two reasons:

1) By converting to outlines, it assures good looking output which is
backwardly compatible with other platforms and viewers. (Few applications on
Linux or other *nix's support OTF well - yet.)

2) This can in many cases, reduce the file size.

> i tried acrobat 4 and 5 settings.

This will not have any affect.

> btw. i use the apple Preview.app to view these pdfs (which works with
> the indesign files very well)

Personally, I am not a big fan of the preview app, and instantly turn to
Acrobat Reader or full Acrobat for viewing PDF. If you use Acrobat Reader 5
or 6  to view Scribus PDF's with "Smooth text" and Smooth line art" in the
preferences, you will see a dramatic difference.

In any case, Scribus PDF will print at very high resolution with crisp clear
text. If you need to have searchable text, then you will need to use Type 1
fonts.

By the way, Scribus 1.2.1 CVS has many new options for font embedding and
export. We hope to have 1.2.1 done in the coming weeks.

Hope that helps,

Peter