[Fwd: Re: [Scribus] Erratic handling of images]

Carol Kankelborg cckborg1
Tue Nov 16 18:23:15 CET 2004

Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:

> Let me rephrase myself. The lack of undo is a show stopper for a rank
> newbie like myself, who desperately needs the rope offered by undo to
> hang on. :) Pros, like yourself could definitely do without it.

While I don't consider myself a newbie at Scribus anymore, I have only
been using it intermmittently for about a year. Not having undo is
certainly a drawback, especially when you are learning. But, there is
nothing like having to do something over again when you are learning
Scribus to build your  skills :~) Not having undo forces me to
concentrate more on what I am doing and be more
careful. In the long run, that means you get your work done more
efficiently.

Here are some tricks I use to soften the impact of no undo:

I save just before doing an operation that I'm afraid I will mess up.
(For instance, if I've had to redo something once already.)

Locking frames helps inadvertent resizing.

My projects have generally been fairly regular with respect to frame
dimensions and placement, but writing down frame details can help
you recreate them if a frame gets accidentally resized or moved.

Be very, very careful in a group move that you have selected all the
objects in the group.

So, be bold, live on the edge, use Scribus without undo :~). Just
think how much more you'll appreciate 1.3 when it comes out.

Development on Scribus moves quickly -- I started on 1.0 a year ago
and it has improved tremendously in 1 year. The authors are extremely
sharp and very responsive.

--
Carol Kankelborg
cckborg1 at kankelborg.net