[Scribus] Fwd: scribus failures under Mandrake Linux 10.1

Plinnell scribusdocs
Wed Nov 17 11:41:08 CET 2004

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 11:24, Craig Bradney wrote:
> Forwarding to user mailing list:

> Subject: scribus failures under Mandrake Linux 10.1
> Date: Wednesday 17 November 2004 10:18
> From: Gerald Hooper <ghphpr at ntlworld.com>
> To: scribus at bit-consulting.net
>
> Hi Group
> In the latest edition of Linux Format they discuss the DTP system Scribus
> 1.2 I had a look at this and decided to try and install the product under
> my Mandrake 10.1 OS.
> In this process I came across a problem in the Scribus requires freetype 2.
> I downloaded both the scribus-1.2 and freetype-2.1.9 from the Scribus Web
> Page. I also arranged proper access to gcc for compilation purposes. While
> I could get the freetype-2.1.9 to compile OK from the configuration/make
> tools provided the equivalent configure file in scribus-1.2 tells me that I
> need freetype2 to be installed even although I had provided it with the
> proper PATH for access purposes. Now I know that Mandrake actually uses
> freetype-1.3.1 which the scribus configure shell script seems to be picking
> up. Has anyone come across this problem and have any ideas on a possible
> way forward without mucking up my Mandrake System?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gerry Hooper

I strongly recommend end users *not* building and installing their own
freetype2, as it is my observation that often distros do a fair amount of
patching and configuration specific to their distro. Exception might be
gentoo.

Freetype2 is a core library which X-org, KDE and other major libraries depend
on. A bit confusingly, Mandrake names Freetype2  libfreetype6 and
libfreetype6-devel.  Those are the packages you want installed. I am willing
to bet libfreetype6 is already installed. You probably just need the -devel
rpm. The fix for you is installing the libfreetype6-devel rpm and you are all
set.

I have not used Mandrake much in the past but, demoed the latest CVS versions
Scribus at Linux World in London on a machine which with Mdk 10.1. Just
adding the correct -devel rpms from the DVD, enabled me to compile Scribus
straight away without complication.

I hope that helps,
Peter