[Scribus] DPI problem

Malte Cornils malte
Wed Nov 17 14:56:43 CET 2004

Hello. (Issue #1321)

Working on a publication, one of our clients had neglected to check resolution
for one picture which was grayscale and about 2000x2000px. Exporting to PDF,
we did not check the "reduce all to xx dpi" box (see below for the "why").

This resulted in a huge page that no longer fit into our printer's memory and
this problem was quite difficult to find and to fix.

I'm not sure but I think we could show the dpi in a pop-up help widget when
mousing over a picture (instead of in the right-click contect menu)?

Anyway, the reason we don't use the "reduce all to xx dpi" stuff is that it
does not differentiate between gray-scale and line-art graphics.

You normally have line-art graphics with much higher dpi than grayscale/colour
images.

If differentiating by type proves too difficult, one could also have an
individual switch for each image ("reduce to .. dpi"), with a sensible
default and the option to switch all dpi reducing conversion off in the
export to pdf dialog.

Or am I missing some option or workarounds you normally use in this situation?

Yours
-Malte