[Scribus] PDF/PS import?

Nik scribus
Fri Nov 26 03:16:51 CET 2004

Firstly, I want to thank the developers for an amazing program.

My business partner asked me around lunch-time what did we have to do
"PageMaker-ish" things. By the time she had come back from lunch, I had
found, read about, downloaded, and compiled Scribus, and had completed the
first page of the tutorial !  Not only is scribus very nice and easy to use,
but it runs like a flash !

I am, however, thoroughly confused over PDF/PS import.

I suspect that either I am doing something fundamentally wrong, or I am
understanding something fundamentally wrong.

I am using Scribus 1.2, running on RedHat 9.0 linux.

I would like to be able to use PDF as an exchange format, so I could receive a
document in PDF, import it and modify it, and produce a new PDF as a result.

My attempts at importing PDF or Postscript have resulted in either Scribus
hanging, or completing immediately with no apparent change. The menu shows
only EPS/PS, but I wondered if PDF might also be supported by this option?

I have tried importing a postscript file when the document has nothing but an
empty page, and I have tried importing with a text frame selected.

I have tried postscript created by OpenOffice, kGhostView, and Scribus.

Does anyone know of a tutorial or FAQ that would explain what can and cannot
be done using EPS/PS import, and how I should do it?

All suggestion gratefully received.

Cheers!
Nik