[Scribus] trick for good quality photos

Craig Ringer craig
Fri Nov 26 13:06:33 CET 2004

vaise at votreservice.com wrote:

>On Thursday 25 November 2004 12:58, Craig Bradney wrote:
>

>>With the correct colour profiles for your printer and monitor, and the
>>correct CUPS setup, and possibly a profile for the images, you shouldnt
>>need to go through all of that mess to get a perfect print directly from
>>Scribus.
>>

>Then how do you explain that with the same image and the same printer, the
>output is not the same ? (the print is darker with scribus than with The
>Gimp)

The GIMP actually uses print drivers built into the program, and tells
your print system to pass the generated PostScript through without
processing (if possible) or at least without extra filtering. This may
result in significantly different output to what you might get from
other programs. The GIMP's drivers are also availible as print system
drivers for CUPS, but you may not be using them or they may not be
configured the same.

It would be helpful to know:
    - What print system you use (CUPS, lprng, other)
    - What printer you have
    - What printer drivers you use in the GIMP, the print sytem, and
elsewhere
    - If you have colour management enabled in Scribus
    - If so, what colour profiles you are using
    - If you you're using gimp-print drivers with CUPS

This is much the same issue as printing from Photoshop and Quark - the
results may be dramatically different, especially if you use colour
management profiles in Photoshop and/or Quark. The more consistent
printer drivers on other platforms definitely help, but even so I have
regularly encountered situations where I get muddy drek from Photoshop
but clear, nice prints from Quark - and vice versa with other hardware.

--
Craig Ringer