[Scribus] Connection refused from cvs chekout

Craig Bradney cbradney
Sun Nov 28 23:28:17 CET 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 23:21, Klaus Ade Johnstad wrote:
> I'm trying to follow the instructions on
> http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/download.html
> to get the daily updated cvs version of scribus, but I only get this:
> cvs login
> Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs at ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk:2401/cvs
> CVS password:
> cvs [login aborted]: connect to
> ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk(146.87.55.6):2401 failed: Connection refused
>
> It's been like this for atleast a few days.
>
> Any idea what might be wrong?

As reported, the server died, and the new one is not yet in action.
www.scribus.net is redirected to Franz's Scribus page until the new one is
up. With regards to CVS, as Peter posted yesterday on the mailing list:

Hi all,

As our main www server and CVS have been down, I have prepared a tarball of
the most recent CVS snapshot. We know several CVS junkies who have been
missing their fix. ;)

Notes:

You now need libxml2-devel to compile Scribus. In return, you get Open Office
Writer and OO Draw import goodness, thanks to Riku Leino (OO Writer importer
and the importer framework) and Franz (OO Draw importer). Both importers work
*really* well. E.g. a 600 page OO Writer doc imports fine.   Plus, the usual
bug fixes and translation updates.

It runs fine and is very stable. I use it daily and trust it for production
use.

That said all standard disclaimers apply, it could set your hair on fire, give
you a rash, format your hard drive, install winders and other nastiness. :-)

As one Redhat devel said when describiing Rawhide, the RH CVS snapshot tree:
"Rawhide comes with no guarantees, if it breaks you get to keep the pieces."

We have reverted to the older makefiles temporarily. Expect lots of uglyness
when running configure. It will work, even with automake 1.9.x

md5sum: 143c163978f07695e03dc290d69e7b8c
size: 4392481 bytes

I have signed the tarball with my GPG key:

This includes a partial update of the docs and screen shots.

Location: http://www.mrdocs.uklinux.net/scribus-1.2.1cvs.tar.bz2

GPG signature on the tarball:
http://www.mrdocs.uklinux.net/scribus-1.2.1cvs.sig

I recommend wget -c http://www.mrdocs.uklinux.net/scribus-1.2.1cvs.tar.bz2

Steps:

1) tar -xjf ./scribus-1.2.1cvs.tar.bz2

2) cd ./Scribus

3) the usual $ ./configure [options] && make

4) make install as root

To confirm the authenticity:

$gpg --verify ./scribus-1.2.1cvs.sig ./scribus-1.2.1cvs.tar.bz2

** You can double check by importing my GPG key into your key ring, to verify
it. My public key, which is also signed by most of the other devels is on
most public keyservers. Kgpg makes this trivial.

<scribusdocs at atlantictechsolutions.com>
1024-bit DSA key, ID F60166DA, created 2004-01-02

The same key which signs this mail

Enjoy,

Peter