[Scribus] CinePaint

frank gaude' tanzen
Tue Apr 5 23:04:07 CEST 2005

Hello, Robin, Peter and all!

Well, even the idea of professionalism is refreshing to hear. If we wish
Linux to become an alternate desktop to Windows and Mac we have to offer
software that is produced with the end-user in mind, not what
programmers would like for themselves. About 15 years ago at work I
heard a programmer say, "Without a good GUI Unix would die", that after
seeing what Mac and Windows was doing in that area. And he was so right
on target. <smile>

Now when it comes to graphic design: a seamless blend of programs is
what is needed. Since the mid-80s I've used computers to eliminate
glue-cut-and-paste in graphical work. Started with PageMaker, supported
by CorelDRAW! along with Paint Shop Pro (PSP). Now using mainly InDesign
CS and PSP with some Photoshop CS. PSP can be setup to be fast, very
fast, much faster than Photoshop for production work. Interesting that
Jasc PSP is now owned by Corel, who also products a Linux distro.

I want to use Scribus and The GIMP to replace the high-priced spread.
When you think that PSP and FontLab, as does Scribus, use Python you
would think Gimp would go that way too. We need cut-and-paste,
drag-and-drop between Scribus and Gimp don't you think, to make the work
flow quicker. Look what Adobe is doing to CS with their new release:
everything works together. The PSP built-in browser and the flexible,
user alterable menu structure provided by Python makes it possible. Sure
wish Gimp or Scribus has a built-in image browser. <grin>

Help up the good work fellows... we are all pulling for the Linux teams.

Regards,
Frank
http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname
Email list at subscribe-nonamedesigns at yahoogroups.com

Robin Rowe wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Good, I'd rather not take sides or discuss it either. It doesn't
> bother me that some prefer another application. It's for sake of
> curiosity when I ask why.

<snipping>