[Scribus] Re: Colour management...

PLinnell mrdocs
Sat Apr 23 18:21:20 CEST 2005

On Saturday 23 April 2005 17:53, Suki Venkat, [TnQ] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Craig and Peter!
> I am wondering if RGB printers are more to do with small-scale
> direct digital (inkjet/laserjet printers) print-on-demand kind of
> thing and CMYK is more to do with the large-scale printing houses
> with those big Hiedelberg Offset Machines.
>
> BTW:I remember one of those large printers (again one of those
> classical old ones in Europe that was threatened by Asian market),
> some years back, showing me some direct PC prints with colour
> figures that he was quite impressed with, which he probably uses
> for print-on-demand kind of thing, probably for offprint orders of
> journal articles etc... At that time the quality was okay but a bit
> off the mark.
> Are these small digital PC printers in a position now to threaten
> these large printing machines technologically and cost-wise -
> analogous to the PC versus Main-Frame computers situation?
>
> Suki

Hi

Hardly, in my opinion. None of the smaller digital printers can
compete in scale or in consumables costs, nor handle bulk paper.

It is impressive to visit one of the largest printers in the world and
see an 8 story press digest 2 meter high rolls of paper at one end
and send out fully printed, cut, folded and stapled 4 color catalogs
at the other end at a rate of thousands per hour.

235,000 digest size (half US letter) copies completed, including
boxing in less than 24 hours. Enough to fill one full tractor trailer
and another 2/3 full.

Where the smaller digital printers are competitive is driving down the
cost per unit of short run 4 color. Plus, the quality is getting
better and better.

There are a couple of commercial printers on the list, maybe they can
give more specifics.

Peter