[Scribus] Font Substitution in PDFs

Calum Polwart scribus
Tue Aug 2 20:01:56 CEST 2005

I don't quite know if this is the right place to ask, or for that matter
what I want to ask, so I'll try and hopefully someone will understand :-[

I am creating a newsletter which will be exported to pdf for printing at
a 'commerical' printers.  That bit is fine (I think).  But the pdf is
BIG - 12Mb.  This incldues lots of images, and embeded fonts. Adjusting
the image resolutions doesn't seem to affect the file size that much so
I guess it is mostly fonts because not embeding the fonts makes a huge
difference.  I fully understand that for the print copy I want the fonts
embeded to ensure acuracy of reproduction.

However, in windows (uh!) when I used to print to a pdf printer I didn't
usually bother embedding fonts for the 'electronic version' the kind of
thing you'd put on a web site.  Afterall we don't want people having to
download 12Mb to read a few pages.  With windows that wasn't a major
problem I used a non-standard sans font but it seemed to substitute
arial instead, which worked fine  (the odd character was omitted /
wrongly printed but otherwise ok.)  When I do this with scribus and
linux acrobat reader (7) I get a wirey font instead... not yet viewed it
on windows.  I didn't expect this because the font is on the machine so
why doesn't Acrobat use it, and I expected font substitution to kick in...

Is there some way of getting the pdf to have a substitute font if the
specified one isn't available?

Calum