[Scribus] Scribus and Mac - more again

Dave Crossland d.crossland
Tue Aug 9 19:24:49 CEST 2005

On 9 Aug 2005, at 11:38, Elaine coolowl wrote:

> On Tue,  9 Aug 2005 12:00:08 +0200 (CEST),
> scribus-request at nashi.altmuehlnet.de re-arranged the electrons thusly:
>> Here's were I have all the frameworks:
>>
>> $ ls -l /Library/Frameworks/
>> total 0
>
> OK, Andreas - here goes:
>
> I don't really understand *where* these Frameworks need to go

This is part of the general design of Mac OS X for what programmers
refer to as 'libraries'. Libraries are like mini-programs that are used
by several other, full on, programs. For example you might have a
library for doing things with JPEG images, that any application that
might use JPEGs can call on.

What is a good way of organising these Libraries on a powerful
operating system like Mac OS X? There are libraries for Mac OS X
itself, which only Apple programmers would want to change. Then there
are libraries for just your computer, which the programmers who make
software for all users of your computer could use. And then there need
to be an area for libraries that are just your own messing around.
Also, you might want to have a server that makes its libraries
available to everyone. These are as follows:

/System/Library/ - for Apple
/Library/ - for stable, complete software
/Users/Elaine/Library/ - for you having fun
/Network/Library/ - for the network

You'll see many similarities in these areas. The one I demonstrate most
often is the Fonts directory. It makes plain sense to have Apple's
fonts in one place, the computers fonts in another, and just yours in
you area :) If a program wants to use a library, it will look in each
place until it finds what it needs.

> You gave  3 possible places in the instal instructions on the
> aqua-scribus website

The first one that I listed is for Apple, so its missing from the
Scribus instructions. I think probably most users will want to install
the Scribus frameworks in the Library at the root level. Perhaps the
install instructions should be altered to suggest this? :)

> And that's it.

That's what I have.

> I downloaded everything I thought would be relevant, not being aware of
> the intricacies of programming, a lot of words I read - acronyms
> perhaps - might as well be gobbledegook for all I can understand.

Try hitting the acronyms into Wikipedia, or plain Google, and more
often than not an explanation appears :)

--
Regards,
dave