[Scribus] Translators needed:...

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sun Jul 31 00:35:49 CEST 2005

Hi Ludi,

> I should disagree here.
>
> Glossary \Glos"sa*ry\, n.; pl. Gossaries. [L. glossarium, fr.
>   glossa: cf. F. glossaire. See 3d Gloss.]
>   A collection of glosses or explanations of words and passages
>   of a work or author; a partial dictionary of a work, an
>   author, a dialect, art, or science, explaining archaic,
>   technical, or other uncommon words.
>
> In portuguese dictionary is the same. It try to explain a specific term
> (technical or not) for better understanding. I search the word 'Design' and
> 'designer' in portuguese dictionary and I got no translated term (as I said
> below), just a explanation of what it does.
> I might be wrong...

No, you're right. It's actually not a glossary, but a concordancy.

> Overprinting = sobre-impress?o
> Fine here, but there is a lot of terms that make our life very difficult
> (translators).
> You know, the whole world is becoming more and more "englished". We heard a
> lot of this terms in PM and communication (including design), and is really
> hard to translate it. 'Design' it self have no possible translation in
> portuguese, the same to the most part of the world I guess.
> When someone say: Hey, I'm designer. Man, what the heck are you taking about?
> The first thing the people think is: Oh, he is gay and work with fashion
>  (kind of).
> The right question should be:  What kind of designer are you? Fashion
> designer, sound designer, graphic designer, hair designer, industrial
> designer, multimedia designer (and so on...)? And explain this to the people
> is very very hard :):)
> Even DtP to me is a big threat to make some sense (not in english, sure).

That's why it's good to have a list of the right native language terms
available. The use of English words in other languages may vary, be it
in DTP or else. But I think it's useful to have a list ready to find the
way from as many languages as possible to English and back, since it is
the lingua franca today. Without it, we would have to use French or
Latin which would cause the same problems.

> Whatever, I'll translate some of those soon.

Great! Thank you!

Cheers,

Christoph