[Scribus] Serious problems with digital printer

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Jun 30 19:17:37 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I have tried to get a huge scribus PDF file printed at a print shop with
a digital printer. The file conatains a plate (965 x 965 mm) with two
layers, some tiff files, and all text is converted to outline. The
problem is that Acrobat's preflight check for offset printing runs fine
but warns when checked for digital printing. The warning is about
transparent pictures (although they are all tiffs).

The RIP (Production Manager 6.6. SP 1) for the printing machine (CAMMJET
CJ-500) exits with a CPSI error if scribus files (PDF and EPS) are opened.

At the shop we were able to convert the scribus PDF to EPS. This EPS
caused no problems with the RIP, but the print went wrong: Some of the
frames I had drawn around the images were printed in grey instead of
transparent (frame settings: colour: none, and opacity set to 0). This
behaviour seems very strange, since all frames have exactly the same
properties and most of them do not appear in the print, but few of the
still show the grey background.

We have run five prints with different options and the problem is still
there.

Has someone on this list already had similar problems?

Thanks

Christoph