[Scribus] best OS to keep up with scribus, gscript and inskcape dev...

PLinnell mrdocs
Thu Mar 3 10:57:20 CET 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 16:13, Tariq Rashid wrote:
> although this may sound like an inappropriate question - its not.
>
> i am now starting to produce documents that will need to be as good
> as possible as they are for public consumption.
>
> i have always used mandrake (now 10.1) as my workstation as it has
> had quite up to date software ... but i am finding it a pain to
> keep up with inkscpape and scribus development.

Heh, its the same for developers. Inkscape 0.40 was *very* difficult
to get working on Suse 9.x. Its much easier now however with updated
support libs available.

> never mind the fact that mandrake, amongst other major distros,
> ship ghostscript 7.07!

No rpm distro AFAIK except for betas/cooker of Mandrake have anything
newer than 7.07. The long standing reason is the lack of CUPS
integration in GPL GS 8.x - now fixed and migrating into distros. For
major distros upgrading to GS 8.x is complex and is comparable to
going from GCC 2.9x to GCC 3.x.

That said, installing a parallel version of Ghostscript 8.50 is not
too difficult. I have provided very complete instructions on
docs.scribus.net.. I've yet to receive complaints about a broken
system from my hints. :)

On the other side Ghostscript as shipped by RedHat/Suse/Mandrake can
be looked at as a: a fiendishly complex work of hackery or b: a
marvel of integration via sed/perl/rpm macros. ;-)

Even someone like me who has been around PC 's before they were called
PC can't but helped to be impressed to plug in a new USB printer in
Suse and without any (interaction/dialogs/feed driver disk/reboot)
have a fully configured and working printer automagically and
recognized by the desktop apps.

And some people think the Linux desktop sucks...

> i wonder if a more "source" bases OS is a better idea to keep up
> with changes upstream, whilst keeping the local workstation
> integrated - ie if i update ghostscript i don't want CUPS printing
> to break, etc etc

See above.
> do people use rolling (non-release) systems like gentoo? freebsd
> ports? netbsd pkgsrc? debian testing?
>
> the core question really is which distribution gets the upstream
> changes in a timely manner?

With respect to Scribus IMO, *the* most important issue is how Qt is
both compiled e.g the ./configure switches, which are complex *and*
the packaging, which often have a grab bag of patches.

I've cracked open the source packages for Qt packages of some of the
major distros while we were hunting down a drag and drop bug in
Scribus, which ended up being a Qt issue. Doing that,  I learned
some about how Qt/KDE is built.

My vote: Suse

Their most current rpms:
 a: are compiled closely to the KDE developer recommendations

b: also include patches and fixes which often get sent upstream to Qt.
Suse employs a fair amount of KDE devels who do know their way around
Qt.

c: Suse usually is one of the first major distros to release updated
KDE/Qt rpms when KDE announces a new version. There were Qt 3.3.4
rpms available very shortly after it was announced and they were a
painless upgrade without breakage.e.g.

rpm -Fvh ./qt*

done

d: I observe far fewer issues with Suse's Qt + Scribus than any other
distro based on bug reports, the mailing list or my own usage.

Second choice would be RH/Fedora. They have do not have the same
number of devels supporting Qt,  but their current packaging has
removed all the ugliness of RH 8/9 days and its sane. Despite
perception, there are RH/Fedora devels who do like KDE and many use
it as their main desktop.

FC-4 will be the first distro which will have  GCC 4 standard and  GCC
4 is *far* more particular about c++ correctness, along with giving
c++ apps a  performance kick.

Where rpm/packaged distros win vs. source distros is maintaining
multiple machines.

Its not difficult to make a buildroot for rebuilding SRPMs which can
then be installed on other local workstations. The scribus spec files
in both Fedora and Suse have been massaged carefully for a long time,
so they should just work (TM).

I don't know much about packaging Debs, so I can't comment. I'm not
really sold on how Debian packages Qt, but that's my personal taste.

Using RPM is much easier than even a year ago. Apt-rpm is available
for Suse/RH and others. Plus like the fedora-develrpm tools make
building them much easier locally.

Just my personal thoughts, nothing meant to be official ;-)

Peter