[Scribus] win32port

Bart Alberti bart
Tue Mar 29 05:41:13 CEST 2005

I use cygwin on speech synthesis so I have some experience. I compile
with gcc in cygwin but my application is console based so I do not need
the kde development libraries or even XFree86 stuff. What is needed in
scribus is a full binary scribus.exe ready to run in windows native; if
that is too much to ask then at least a binary for cygwin. No
compilation. Moreover since the competition is already of there, In
Design and Quark , scribus had better be fully formed and mature. But it
is! Those who still post 'Linux-is-not-ready-yet' are tooting their
horns uselessly.
For printing here is a kluge: if win32 print api is too much then
associate each *.sla file with its *.ps file equivalent and print from
gsview using ghost script. That has been suggested already; a few days
ago. It is only a trick. Better to really print in Windows. Export to
pdf and print using Acrobat Reader has been suggested too. Good Luck!
I was about to junk my win98 se laptop: P-II, 233 MHz, 64 MB RAM! I keep
it for its font collection!

Bart Alberti