[Scribus] quality images for press (digital camera? cheap/freeonline stock s? scan?)

Steve deRosier stevepub
Thu May 5 18:38:24 CEST 2005

There's another reason to be wary of Nikon cameras at the moment:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/25/0511241&tid=93&tid=155

I would think that the audience of Scribus would be concerned about supporting a manufacturer that seems to be setting the ground work to "own" _your_ photos by keeping a closed and DMCA protected format and not providing the specs to either open source developers nor even the most mainstream photo editing application.

Personally, if you're looking for a new camera and you've got a pile of money to spend, I've been looking at the Canon 1Ds.  I love Canons (I've had an AE-1 working beautifully for near on 30 years), I love digital cameras, and I love the idea of a full-frame sensor.  But, alas, since it's not my profession, I don't have enough money lying around to justify it.

I bought my first digital camera several years ago, and it's just a 2.?M pixel HP job.  It takes beautiful shots (see: http://www.textureandlight.com/) even under difficult lighting (lighting too contrasty for my film camera), although I can't do half with it that I want to since the manual controls are nearly impossible to use and it needs lots of light (fastest setting is equiv to 200 ASA).  But I print 8x10 and 11x14 from it regularly and some shots still look ok (but not as crisp as I'd like) at 20x30 inch.  Thus proving that pixel count isn't the most critical factor.

If you go for a "cheapie" digital camera:
* Optical zoom only.
* Go for one made by a camera company, they work like cameras.  Those made by computer companies work like computers.  Also, those made by camera companies have much better optics.
* I like those with RAW or TIFF capablity, not just jpeg.  Granted I almost always shoot jpeg, but having the option to keep each and every pixel the way it was shot is critical.

- Steve