[Scribus] Basic questions about using ligatures in Scribus

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sun May 8 17:40:34 CEST 2005

[snip]

>I wonder, if this ligature issue couldn't be rather a job for a plug in
>or an extension script, the kind of Petr's Short Words? What I don't
>understand is, how do other applications (e.g. LaTeX -- Petr?) know
>which glyphs and how to substitute? Is this information delivered with
>the font, or does a user always have to define it from scratch? If it's
>delivered with the font or a particular type of fonts (Type1, what
>else?), user interaction woudn't be necessary, right? An user could
>just execute the script the way he does with the hyphenation (before or
>after hyphenation?).
>
>just some chaotic thoughts
>Maciej

Hi Maciej,

Can font subsitution be handled in Short Words (or can it be implemented)?

The issue about ligatures is there are very many. Few of them are
included in the regular set of fonts, such as ff, fi, fl, oe, ae.
Some others are put in a separate font. Adobe calls them Expert
fonts. There you can find all extra ligatures, such as ffi, ffl, ct,
etc., and lots of variations for capital letters, numbers, etc. In
all these cases, it is necessary to replace the glyph and the font. A
task I wouldn't do without a proper tool, given the many manipulation
errors that could occur.

:)

Louis