[Scribus] Re: Questions to Gentium, Myriad Pro, and

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sun May 29 18:09:54 CEST 2005

Hi Michael,

> Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> writes:
>

>>> In my understanding, creating files for printing (including commercial
>>> printing) is not distribution. This will, of course, not prevent an
>>> overeager IP lawyer from going after you, but SIL is an international
>>> organisation, recognised by the UN.
>

> If you include the font in full, it is definitely distribution. But
> probably you are not charging your printer for the files you are
> sending him, so you should be alright.
>
> Michael Below

I know, many lawyers and companies try to extend the boundaries of IP
and the definition of distribution, following an American style model
(IP litigation as a business). The problem is that by not including the
font in full, I take away the printer's opportunities to add minor
corrections to the text (e.g. with PitStop). Moreover, I would also
"distribute" other IP as pictures, texts etc. That's why I consider
including a font in a PDF file for printing purposes as "use", not
"distribution". Otherwise, most fonts, especially those you have to pay
for, were completely useless, unless the printer had to buy a copy of
each and every font his customers want to use for printing.

Christoph