[Scribus] How best to import a list and apply styles

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Wed Nov 23 02:05:18 CET 2005

>OK, before I spend weeks expereimenting I thought I'd see if someone
>can suggest the best way to import a list:
>
>The list will be a long list of members (think along the lines of
>your old paper phone directory) - name, address number etc.,.,.
>
>The data will come to me in excel format (it did last year) so I can
>then do whatever might be appropriate with it - import to ooo-calc
>and the save to CSV, mail merge to ooo-writer etc...
>
>Last year's directory was produced in MS Publisher (ouhc!)  and was
>mail-merged in, which works in Pub.  Scribus doesn't have mailmerge
>and I don't think it should - but how do I then achieve a layout
>like this:
>
>Name    Address                           Telephone No
>Name    Address                           Telephone No
>Name    Address                           Telephone No
>Name    Address                           Telephone No
>
>For those reading in plain text that is:
><italic>[Telephone No]</italic>
>
>I've just checked with the editorial team and they are quite
>inistent that the in line formatting is needed.  (Otherwise a
>straight import from CSV would work!)
>
>There would seem to be three options:
>Import into Scribus and apply all the formatting by hand in scribus
>- which is a complete nightmare as this will wrap over several
>pages...
>Import column by column - but if an address takes up two lines then
>everyhting goes out of kilter.
>Import into another package - apply formatting and then import to
>scribus.  ooo-writer would be a good option (using mail-merge) - but
>then how can that be imported in and keep the formatting?

Hi Calum,

This can quite easily be done into Scribus.

Scribus allows to import a formatted text from OO.o (using plain,
regular and bold such as your example) using the OO.o filter at
import time. This filter is included in Scribus and can be selected
in the same dialog in which you can select your file. Just click on
"Filter" and select it from the list.

1. You can click on the [auto page] option in the New dialog.

2. Then select the text frame in the 1st page.

3. Import your text (don't forget the filter!).

4. Go to Page>Insert and insert as many pages as you think you need
(you can always delete pages afterwards).

The TABs are maintained. You can change their values for the whole
document while on page 1.

5. Select the text frame.

6. Click on the Content tool and then...

7. ...on the ruler, slide your tabs to the desired value.

This setting will reflects in all pages, for every line in your
document. All will be perfectly aligned.

HTH

Louis