[Scribus] What do I need to print my compositions in US?

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat Oct 8 15:59:45 CEST 2005

Asif Lodhi wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I might sound stupid but I would be _really_ thankful if you guys
>could tell me what I am going to need (the US printer's profiles,
>monitor profiling, etc.) if I want to do the composition in scribus
>and have it printed by a US printer.  It's most likely going to be a
>newspaper printing related job.  Actually, I did get the request to
>quote but had to refuse because of my engagemnent with the other
>on-going project.

I'm not sure that in general there should  be a lot of differences from
Europe to the US if you're dealing with someone with modern equipment.
In this country there have been several mergers, so that now there are
fewer individual companies.
Our local newspaper (Louisville, KY) is part of Gannett. I looked up
their site and found a PDF you can download that explains their specs
for electronic submissions:

http://www.courier-journal.com/cjconnect/howad.htm
There is a place to click for the PDF.  There also was a link to get
info about how to submit electronically on that page, but the link was
broken.

Some particulars:
"The Courier-Journal operates on a MacOSX platform and supports the
following formats: Native Application (Collect for Output), PDF, Tiff
(not TIFF/IT), EPS, and JPG."
PDFs -- "The Courier-Journal accepts ads submitted in PDF format. When
preparing your PDF, include crop marks indicating how the ad should be
cropped."
"The Courier-Journal prints at 100 lines per inch."
CMYK: "All ads should be delivered in CMYK color space ONLY. Do not
build ads in RGB, Lab, or Spot Colors."
"Photographic images should be prepared at a resolution of 200 dpi at
full size. Higher resolution will not increase image quality."
"Line art, such as bit-mapped logos or scanned text should be prepared
at 1200 dpi at full size. However, we highly recommend that these
elements be sent in vector-based, such as illustrator eps."
"All fonts used should be Type 1 Postscript. TrueType fonts are not
supported."
"The following applications are supported and kept updated to the latest
version:  QuarkXpress, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe
Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, and Macromedia Freehand."

Obviously, you would have to check with the individual press.

Greg