1.3.x is available for Debian, was Re: [Scribus] Newbie: Howto autosize text frames and other (I am sure)

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Tue Oct 11 17:48:05 CEST 2005

* David Goodenough <david.goodenough at btconnect.com> [2005-10-11 10:50:07 +0100]:

> On Monday 10 October 2005 23:12, Andreas Vox wrote:
> > > 2) In my general diary section I have lines with a date, a time and
> > > a description.  The date and time are at the left hand of the frame,
> > > and
> > > the description is right justified, rather like a table of context or
> > > How do I put in something to guide the eye from one side to the other,
> > > in a WP I would typically use a "." fill for the tab.
> >
> > Tabs with fill chars are only implemented in 1.3
>
> I look forward to that, it has not reached regular Debian yet.

David,

1.3 series might not ever reach Debian proper for all I know. It's a
developmental series, which has not yet reached the stability of 1.2.x branch.
Until it does I don't see a point in switching the version of the main Debian
scribus package. Anyone is welcome to try to persuade me that it's not a good
idea, of course. Please use scribus-cvs 1.3.x package from the upstream
archive that I maintain on scribus.net. It can be installed in parallel with
scribus as it goes into /usr/local hierarchy. You will get all the benefits of
Debian package management such as automatic upgrades and clean removes and
purges and no drawbacks that I would know of. I routinely use either 1.2.x
(scribus) or 1.3.x (scribus-cvs) depending on how critical it is that I don't
loose my work and what features I need and I haven't had any problems, yet. It
also doesn't matter what branch of Debian or even Ubuntu you track as I build
i386 packages for all of them. Take a look at
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_on_Debian_GNU/Linux for more
information.

Regards,

Alex.