[Scribus] Xara Xtreme

frank gaude' tanzen
Thu Oct 13 22:54:19 CEST 2005

Benjamin Green wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:55:06 +0100, Gregory Pittman
> <gpittman at iglou.com>  wrote:
>
>> frank gaude' wrote:
>>
>>> The Xara is going OSS and has offered to share code, team with
>>> other  graphics programmers or whatever.
>>
>> Of course, there's OSS and there's OSS, so it remains to be seen
>> what  kind of sharing they think is good. They may be looking for
>> more help  than they intend to give. The Scribus list certainly
>> documents the need  for more graphics manipulation possibilities. If
>> something could connect  through the Scripter, or maybe connect like
>> Gimp does now, various  stumbling blocks could be overcome.
>
> Well, they say they are going to GPL it. There is no indication of
> time  scale, and no public versioning or source files available so far
> as I can  see. Their intentions seem very laudable if you read the
> website.

 From their site:

Help
We need your help. Xara cannot do this alone.

If you want to help us create the greatest desktop graphics product that
has existed on Linux (or Mac) and are a developer willing to give us
some of your time, please contact us. We have the product, the knowledge
and the code, and it's all being GPLed to make this possible. We need
quality developers to help make this happen faster and sooner so please
contact us </contact.html>.

We're Open Sourcing this code-base in stages. Initially we're inviting
restricted numbers to have access to the code to help us. As the project
expands and as we release more code, we'll expand this process until the
whole code base is fully Open Source and fully public.

Working on graphics software is a LOT more interesting than working on
most development projects, if only to get the satisfaction of seeing
amazing things that talented artists can do with your work.
---

Frank