[Scribus] Fails to print

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Fri Sep 2 06:34:51 CEST 2005

* Elmer E. Dow <elmeredow at earthlink.net> [2005-09-01 21:17:55 +0000]:

> Greetings:
>
> I am using Scribus 1.2.1 on a machine running Debian Sarge. I'm trying to
> print to an H-P DeskJet 930C through CUPS. I make the proper selections on the
> print setup menus, but nothing prints. I don't even see the file in the
> printer's job list. I'm assuming that I haven't set something up correctly,
> but what?
>
> Also, when I save the file as a pdf, Ghostview will display it correctly in
> landscape mode, but then tries to print it in portrait mode no matter what
> the setting selected. I tried using acroread using Knoppix and it won't
> center the page on the paper so in printing one edge is off the paper even
> when I have correctly set the margins. Some months ago I output a Scribus
> layout created on my machine using Acrobat 5 on a Windows machine and it
> worked fine.
>
> It seems I have no way of outputting this file. Any suggestions?
>
> -- Elmer E. Dow

Elmer,

Scribus 1.2.1 is quite old in "scribus" time. The could be a number of bugs in
it. I would advise you to use a more current package at least to test if the
problem still persists. I think you will find the features added since 1.2.1
quite attractive as well. Please read
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_on_Debian_GNU/Linux to find out how
you could get current Scribus 1.2.3cvs and 1.3.1cvs packages built
specifically for Debian Sarge (so you won't need to upgrade to
testing/unstable). In short, add the following source lines to your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

# debian.scribus.net - Primary repository
deb         http://debian.scribus.net/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

# debian.tagancha.org - Backup repository
deb         http://debian.tagancha.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

and proceed to update your scribus package (1.2.x) or install the scribus-cvs
(1.3.x) package in parallel with the "scribus" package.

If you will encounter Debian-related problems with these packages please don't
hesitate to contact me directly.

Regards,

Alex.