[Scribus] CVS compilation error - MacosX

Martin Costabel costabel
Sat Sep 10 11:06:53 CEST 2005

Andreas Vox wrote:
> Roberto wrote:
[]
>> /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -I../../scribus
>> -I../../scribus -O2  -I/sw/include  -L/sw/lib -o libpixbuf.so
>> gdk-pixbuf-xlib.lo gdk-pixbuf-xlib-render.lo gdk-pixbuf-xlib-drawable.lo
>> gdk-pixbuf-xlibrgb.lo
>> ld: Undefined symbols:
>> _main
>> _XFree
>> _XGetWindowAttributes
[]

> It looks as if you did not specify --enable-mac (this turns on Qt/Mac
> support and disables Qt/X11 support).

I think we should stop trying to help Roberto run around in circles.
Until now he has been trying - whether by purpose or not - to compile
the X11 version of scribus-1.3cvs. This is perfectly possible, but not
by following the completely obsolete instructions. He writes:

>> I did exactly as explained on the cross-platform section of the
>> Documentation, used fink to download all the libraries required, set the
>> environment as described

Since I am the author of those instructions that were put on the scribus
web site <http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=machints2>, I
should probably make sure that they are kept up-to-date. Unfortunately,
I don't have the time for this now; and this is the reason why I always
feel uneasy to give instructions on how to build from CVS: Such
instructions become obsolete very rapidly. The instructions currently on
the Scribus web site were working with scribus-1.3cvs from March 2005
under Mac OSX 10.3, but while they did work, they were old even then,
written sometime last year.

In particular, they don't mention the possibility to build scribus-aqua,
which is possible using Fink, too (by using the qt3mac instead of the
qt3 package and setting the QT environment variables correspondingly),
and they still contain the patch for the plugin build system that is no
longer necessary. The latter is probably the reason for Roberto's
current problem, because libpixbuf is not a plugin but a static library,
but the plugin patch doesn't know about this and therefore tries to
build libpixbuf.so, giving errors on undefined symbols.

In fact, almost all the patches mentioned in those instructions (the
lines starting with "perl -pi") are now unnecessary.

--
Martin