[Scribus] Ligatures and "Expert Fonts" again

Robert Memering memering
Thu Sep 22 00:53:55 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 21. September 2005 22:54 schrieb Andreas Vox:
> Depends on your concept of "near future":
> * next four weeks: unlikely
> * next four months: very likely

Sounds promising...

> AFAIK you have to do some tweaking with LaTeX to access those font
> features...

No, you get f-Ligatures and em/en-dashes automatically. Moreover, there
are some packages around that handle the other things, esp. for the
Adobe Fonts. There are also some packages for nifty stuff like replacing
e.g. an ff-Ligature with f-ff or ck with k-k (needed for german hyphenation).
LaTeX is fifteen years ahead... ;)

> I'm not very firm with Scribus scripting, but I think it would be
> possible for you  to develop a Python script "replace with oldstyle
> numerals in selection" which automates the "insert special" procedure.

My programming skills are weak, esp. Python, and I don't think this
would be trivial since the specials are at different places in
different fonts.

But of course, such a script would be a good thing to have for the
time being...
... any pro script-hacker interested?

Robert