[Scribus] Ligatures and "Expert Fonts" again

Suki Venkat, [TnQ] skvenkat
Thu Sep 22 09:14:34 CEST 2005

Hi,

There is a very nice Mac OS 10.3/4 port of LaTeX/TeX which does OpenType
fonts very well known as the XeTeX. I have tested it for Indic and
Chinese langauges, it does work very well. The nice thing about it is
that it takes the fonts installed in the system. I have not tested it
for OpenType ligature features, but I suppose it works very well. It
basically uses the Mac font engine and may be available soon on
Pentium...

Both OpenOffice and Scribus still lacks proper Indic/Chinese langauge
support. The story editor in Scribus does it correctly but output
doesn't do the glyph substitutions required in Indic langauges (1.3.1cvs
22 August 2005 build). Color Management and PDF features in Scribus is
better I suppose than XeTeX.

Suki