[Scribus] Scribus in the Art Lab

Sukhi Venkat TnQ skvenkat
Tue Apr 4 07:37:41 CEST 2006

Hi,

> > That is simply not the case. InDesign still does not have more
> > marketshare than Quark, and it didn't really take hold until it was
> > bundled in the CS suite. V1&2 were both originally intended for Mac OS9,
> > and it wasn't until Adobe shipped CS which included an OSX-only version
> > of InDesign that it was really embraced. There were *many* bugs in the
> > first two versions that kept people at bay. And FWIW, many designers
> > here is Texas are still loyal to Quark. Personally, I like Indesign
> > because it previews better than Quark does, but v7 is supposed to be
> > pretty slick.
>
> Maybe in Texas..

The problem with these kinds of debate that each is entrenched in his
own camp and is usually argumentative. I once made an application in my
office and after some years I called it "rubbish" and that it needs a
complete redesign. There was eerie silence in the office, especially
among the users, who have developed a personal attachment to that tool.
It was my baby, but it has its own existence...I suppose.

Having said all this, I would say the same of Quark, that it is
"rubbish" and it needs a complete redesign. If you redesign it with a
modern perspective you will get InDesign CS2, which is what Quark 7 is
trying to catch-up with, but their designers are still struck in old
frame of mind, there are still minor technical details like their RTF
import (which doesn't import Paragraph and Character style name values).
Minor points I suppose, but if you are professional then you will know
its importance.
But finally to say a good word about Quark, I heard that their EPS
import is better than Adobe's, I wonder if it is still true...

Suki