[Scribus] tips for layout

Pierre-Luc Auclair p.lucauclair
Tue Aug 1 23:58:38 CEST 2006

There's way too much to say on this, you really want to buy/rent a few
books. And it really depends how far you want to take your designs in
terms of quality.

The problem with a good layout is that there's no rule of thumb. You
will require different layouts, on different formats, for different
application. A history book will often have pretty wide columns with a
lot of text almost cramped to make the most out of your layout, while a
newspaper will try to have mo air to breathe, and the narrow columns
will help reading faster. And if only laying out text require a lot of
work to setup your grid correctly, mixing images (depends how far you
want to take it here too) will be even more work.

Margins is something you get to know in the long run, but there is still
know-how, I recommend books there too.

Choosing fonts is a pretty difficult thing, depending on your criterias.
You have to take account the origins of the font (Israeli font in
Libanese work would be a no-no currently), sometimes the ideas of the
font designer (a right-winger designer in a left-wing design could not
be well), you have to make sure it fits with your idea (requires feel),
legibility, does the x-height work with my proportions, etc.

Images, well kind of like for fonts, but totally different. :P

Typical formats can be found on the web, and will probably be relative
to where you live too.

Way, way too much to say on this.

Pierre-Luc