[Scribus] Question about output formats

Bruce Kingsland wizard
Sun Aug 6 03:41:42 CEST 2006

Gregory Pittman's Log: StarDate 0805.1118:
> Judging from what we have heard from others' experiences, you probably
> need to go into this realizing that this is not a matter of being able
> to say or do a particular thing that will make Scribus an obvious
> choice. You will likely need, on your own or with an "accomplice",
> familiarize yourself with Scribus by making a sample project to its
> completion to a press-ready PDF to see whether you can produce output
> acceptable to your printer. If you have or develop a relationship with
> someone at the printing business they can be of help.

That's the plan. I'm not yet sure about getting this 'to' the printer;
First I'll build the document and then work out the publishing end.
Knowing that I can (or should be able to) produce what the printer
wants, I feel that my efforts to learn this package will be beneficial.

> Once you have this ironed out, then go back to the nonprofit to make
> your case. As Peter says, it's fortunate that now there is a native
> Windows port so you don't have to fight that kind of resistance as well,
> but realistically Scribus is comfortable on Linux, Windows, and Macs --
> if there is a stumbling block for cross-platform sharing (of Scribus
> files) it is likely to be fonts. Once fonts are embedded in the PDF, a
> PDF is a PDF.

I won't be using Windows, but the nonprofit may not want to switch
OS's; so if I can show that there is a smoother path, maybe they'll at
least switch layout tools.

> Successful or not, we are interested in your experiences, or even why
> you decided not to pursue this. This applies not only to the above
> discussed issues, but also features and bugs issues, and importantly, we
> are trying to develop the online help available for newbies in the
> Scribus Manual, Scribus site, Scribus Wiki, and the mailing list.

Thank you, I will. I'm currently completing another document (in
OpenOffice) which should be done in a couple weeks. At that time I'll
start on the newsletter project.

> http://docs.scribus.net/
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page
> http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/

-bk
Bruce Kingsland                                       wizard at renigaid.biz
RenigAid Services         ICQ: 273027311                cell 360-531-3730
Port Hadlock, WA          AIM: RenigAid Wizard           fax 253-322-0745