[Scribus] Web Interface for content

Calum Polwart scribus
Mon Dec 4 22:18:24 CET 2006

In: Top quality book self-produced with scribus!
at http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=129

There is discussion of a distributed network of users.  This is of keen
interest.  I have an editor who sends me Word Docs which I then have to
import into Scribus.  Later he makes further spelling changes etc (grrh)
which I am manually editing.

I've considered getting him to install windows Scribus now that its
stable.  But I think the learning curve remains steep for someone who
wants to stick to text rather than layout.

We've also discussed setting up something live cvs before for
maintaining 'dependant files' but again I think the curve is too steep.

      * "The whole book making process has been a huge "family work". As
        my parents and I are not living in the same city in France, I
        have developed a web based interface, o?n which my mother was
        typing the texts, then my software was generating the Scribus
        format file, based o?n what she had typed, and my father was
        adding the pictures needed and the text writing..."

Two things there are potentially (VERY) exciting:
      * Can we have some detail of the web-based interface.  perhaps a
        demo and some description of what it did or even better some
        source code! - Are you able to revise the text in the web
        version and it update the version in scribus...?
      * Are the images also being embedded in the web version?

      * I think these have potential for all sorts of people where
        authors are distributed across large areas...  Journalists, even
        some of the school projects we've seen discussed on the list.