[Scribus] Testing fonts with Scribus

avox avox
Thu Dec 14 03:32:49 CET 2006

Branko Vukelic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to test a bunch of fonts with Scribus. Although I would like
> the
> test to be as realistic as possible, I can't afford to RIP documents set
> with
> the fonts. Is there any software that I can use to test Scribus' output?
> Something like outputting EPS or PDF pages from Scribus and then running a
> program on them to see if there are errors?

Scribus makes sure that it only uses fonts which
a) are scalable
b) can be opened by the FreeType library
c) contain a meaningful encoding
d) contain only glyphs that can be loaded by the FreeType library

So far we very, very rarely have issues with fonts in commercial RIPs.
Any bug report of that sort is dealt with highest priority and usually
resolved within 1-2 days (I only recall two cases where a document
broke in a RIP during the last 1.5 years, and I don't think you will
find much more when you ask the other developers).

You can also choose to subset fonts in Scribus. Currently this also
implies that the font is converted to outlines, and those never
break in a RIP. OTF fonts in PDF, and TTF / OTF fonts in PostScript
are currently treated that way automatically.

About font testing in general: One test I'd like to have in Scribus is
testing for self-intersecting outlines. I don't think FreeType tests for
that, so that might be a loophole for broken fonts. Unfortunately a
lot of automatically transformed fonts have this flaw.
And of course there are quality issues which can not be tested by
any program: design consistency, kerning, hinting...

/Andreas