[Scribus] Status of Indic language support in Scribus (Gora Mohanty)

Gora Mohanty gora_mohanty
Wed Feb 1 07:01:05 CET 2006

--- "Sukhi Venkat (TnQ)" <skvenkat at tnq.co.in> wrote:
[...]
> Apple's AAT seems to render Indic fonts well. I have checked out
> XeTeX (http://scripts.sil.org/xetex) for Tamil throughly and it works

> fine. You can check out XeTeX for Oriya, but you need access to a Mac
OS
> X and you need to know a bit of TeX.

I do extensively use TeX and LaTeX, and a version that worked easily
with
Unicode would be wonderful. Access to Mac OS X is more problematic for
me,
but is possible on and off. Is the specification for AAT open? Is there
documentation available? From what little I have learnt from other
people,
AAT is proprietary, and poorly documented.

> I found UTF-8 OS support in Fedora Core 3 for Tamil has some bugs but
> it works fine in XeTeX's PDF renderer. I suppose for KDE the support
> comes from Trolltech's Qt...

Fedora Core 4 is much improved from Core 3, though there are still some
issues, such as printing from Mozilla. I do not know about Tamil
in particular, but if you would care to file a bug report, TrollTech
(makers of QT) has been quite responsive. Alternatively, we at IndLinux
will soon initiate a program to allow testing of rendering of Indian
scripts, so you could participate in that. Likewise, ICU and Pango do
take heed of properly filed bug reports.

> How good is the Oriya rendering at the OS level in Linux, e.g. in a
> UTF-8 text editor like gedit?

After the recent series of bug-fixes, Oriya works perfectly in ICU,
Pango/
GTK (i.e., from GNOME 2.12 onwards), and QT4 (should be incorporated in
KDE4), at least as far as the rendering of the comprehensive set of
conjuncts using the available open-source Oriya OpenType fonts goes.

Regards,
Gora