[Scribus] Downloading & Installing - a Newbie's problems!

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Thu Feb 2 20:24:35 CET 2006

David Lloyd a ?crit :

> First of all, may I say thank you for allowing me to join the mailing
> list and, secondly, I hope to be able to make good use of it.
>
> I have recently moved over to the Mac OS X after having purchased a
> Mac Mini. I have used Windows - in all it's various forms - for many
> years and am, naturally, quite at home with it.
>
> However, in common with many other people, I am now fed up with the
> constant problems which never seem to be addressed properly. So,
> Apple, here I am!
>
> Whilst using Windows XP, I have been using Quark XPress 4.0 for my
> DTP needs. At the price given for the Mac version (nearly ?900) there
> is no way that I can afford to but. I like Quark XPress and, having
> read several bits about Scribus, it would seem to me that it would
> come pretty close to Quark. I would, therefore, like to give it a try.
>
> Bearing in mind that I am new to the Mac and am used to the ease of
> installing programs under Windows, I have to say that it came as a
> bit of a shock when I checked your site for downloads after seeing
> reference to your program in Mac Format magazine. I was completely
> overwhelmed and just do not know where to start!
>
> Perhaps someone would be able to let me know just what files I would
> need to download, where to put them on the Mac and any other help -
> in simple English if possible - you can give to make the experience
> reasonably easy and pleasurable.
>
> Kind regards to all and keep up the good work.
>
> Looking forward to some help.

Hi Fossil,

On the Mac, you have 2 options. Here is one.
http://aqua.scribus.net/
The installation process is well described.
Please read also the known issues section.

The other option will get you a fully functionnal Scribus after an
installation with Fink.
There are knowledgeable people on this list who will be able to help you
out with it.

HTH

Louis