[Scribus] Importing multi-page pdf (2)

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Feb 3 01:54:26 CET 2006

Craig Bradney wrote:
>> This may obviate the need for Craig to tackle PDF import. As Eric
>> Raymond has said, one of the advantages of Linux is that you don't have
>> to have monster applications that do it all, you can often use a
>> collection of utilities to more efficiently get your work done.
>>

> a) Scribus runs on more than Linux

An excellent point. And I was thinking anyway, Eric said this about
Unix, not Linux. Where would Linux be without Unix? (rhetorical question)
> b) I don't believe a user should need to know about pdftk

Hmm. Not that I would argue that pdftk, per se, is essential, but I
would hope that Scribus users know about some software other than
Scribus, otherwise they would want it to duplicate everything that Gimp
and Inkscape do.
> c) I'm too lazy and want Scribus to do it for me, automagically. (click,
> click, click.. BANG!.. done.. on your page(s))
>
> so, I'll code it if I get a chance, though I'm hacking on other things
> tonight.

And this is precisely why we're here. But what if somebody figured out
how to run pdftk from a script, and then handed that over to Scribus...?
Looking at the job that pdftk does, it's not so much of a BANG! but more
of a rumble, rumble, rumble...yet still automagical.

Greg