[Scribus] GIMP and the future of Open Source DTP

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Mon Feb 6 18:23:59 CET 2006

Hello all,

This post might sound a bit "off-topic" but I think the following link
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/06/photoshop_on_linux/
is worth reading, and discussing.

In short: a growing number of people are demanding that Photoshop be
ported on Linux. The GIMP, which apparently lacks Color Management and
full CMYK support (although I understand there are plug-ins for that) is
not yet suitable for pros.

Scribus is clearly heading in the right direction towards acceptance by
pros. And CMYK support is among the most important feature we have to
offer with full Color Management implementation. I wonder if there are
discussions going on between the GIMP and Scribus (and Inkcape) teams on
CMYK support and better integration of all three apps?

I am sure some people on this list would have some thoughts to share
about that.

Cheers!

Louis

--