[Scribus] GIMP and the future of Open Source DTP

Tobias Hilbricht hilbricht
Mon Feb 6 21:02:09 CET 2006

Am Montag, 6. Februar 2006 18:23 schrieb Louis Desjardins:
> Hello all,
>
> This post might sound a bit "off-topic" but I think the following link
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/06/photoshop_on_linux/

> In short: a growing number of people are demanding that Photoshop be
> ported on Linux. The GIMP, which apparently lacks Color Management and
> full CMYK support (although I understand there are plug-ins for that) is
> not yet suitable for pros.

The objections against the view of The GIMP as a full fledged image
manipulation application for professional use are summarized in the article
"Why Photoshop tops most-wanted Linux app list" by Steven Vaughan-Nichols
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT6362808891.html

I might add that it is not only for the preprint area where full CMYK and spot
colour support is lacking in The GIMP, but I learned from Web Designers that
The GIMP lacks proper slicing tools, filters etc. for RGB based work, too.
Either these lacking capabilities are very difficult to develop, or they are
not of first priority for the GIMP developers.

I try to use The GIMP where I can and keep it up to date, but I really need
PhotoShop, which I run here with CrossOver Office and native.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht

--
Dr. Tobias Hilbricht