[Scribus] GIMP and the future of Open Source DTP

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon Feb 6 23:27:15 CET 2006

Am Montag, 6. Februar 2006 22:38 schrieb Ludi Maciel:
> Em Seg 06 Fev 2006 18:02, Tobias Hilbricht escreveu:
> > Am Montag, 6. Februar 2006 18:23 schrieb Louis Desjardins:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > This post might sound a bit "off-topic" but I think the following link
> > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/06/photoshop_on_linux/
> > >
> > > In short: a growing number of people are demanding that Photoshop be
> > > ported on Linux. The GIMP, which apparently lacks Color Management and
> > > full CMYK support (although I understand there are plug-ins for that)
> > > is not yet suitable for pros.
> >
> > The objections against the view of The GIMP as a full fledged image
> > manipulation application for professional use are summarized in the
> > article "Why Photoshop tops most-wanted Linux app list" by Steven
> > Vaughan-Nichols http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT6362808891.html
> >
> > I might add that it is not only for the preprint area where full CMYK and
> > spot colour support is lacking in The GIMP, but I learned from Web
> > Designers that The GIMP lacks proper slicing tools, filters etc. for RGB
> > based work, too. Either these lacking capabilities are very difficult to
> > develop, or they are not of first priority for the GIMP developers.
>
> I think that these issues are almost solved with the 2.3.6 (future 2.4),
> including the slice tool.

Let's hope they are. However, it must not be forgotten that the GIMP
developers ignored the requirements of professional printing and colour
managment for a long time. If you browse the mailing list, you will recognise
that they used to respond to such requests with something like "That's the
printer's problem, not ours".

> > I try to use The GIMP where I can and keep it up to date, but I really
> > need PhotoShop, which I run here with CrossOver Office and native.
>
> As alternative, try Krita. It's taking image editing to the next level (on
> Linux). koffice 2.0 and kde 4.0 will be just great.
>
> Some brand new krita features:
> http://koffice.kde.org/announcements/changelog-1.5beta1.php
> There is a klik package for it:
> http://krita-1.5-beta.klik.atekon.de/
>
> May be some future integration between Scribus and koffice would be cool
> (on Linux).

Personally, I think the integration of Krita and KOffice is far from ideal.
KOffice is an office suite while Krita fits into another category, namely
creative and publishing tools. What really would be nice (though I don't
expect this to happen anytime soon), was an integrated "Kreative Suite", with
a DTP software (sKribus?), Krita (or KIMP?), Khostscript, Khostview, Kooka,
KimDaBa, digiKam, and a better Karbon14 (or inKsKape?) :D

> At?,
>
> Ludi

Cheers,

Christoph